Login    Register

Garmin BaseCamp

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
Garmin BaseCamp

Unread postby yamadog » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm like a box of rocks when it comes to this hightech stuff but I managed to download "BaseCamp" and find it very easy to use. One problem, I download a trip I made in BaseCamp, the way they say to do it, to my Garmin Nuvi 40 and it shows that it has transfered but there is nothing in my Nuvi. Not a clue where it went or where to find it. Can someone help me? I did identify my Garmin Nuvi 40 to the BaseCamp program. Help! <banghd>
Yamadog
yamadog

Re: Garmin BaseCamp

Unread postby Marc K » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Lee and Bob know a lot about the Garmin. My first thought is - did you save your route as a .gpx file ? This is the only type file Garmin will recognize. I stopped using BaseCamp and use Tyre Travel. It's based on Google Maps. Download from http://www.tyretotravel.com/
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Bob » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Once its loaded you have to import it . look for the import command buried in sub-menus
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby yamadog » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Basecamp has a file and menu for sending your route to your Garmin which I did and it shows that the data was transfered. (green line stretching across the function bar) Basecamp did not ask that I place the file in any specific type file. I will try the file change.
yamadog

Unread postby Bob » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:42 pm

You have to import it inside the gps unit. AFTER you download it. Look for the import command.

And this is all assuming that model nuvi will do routes.

Garmin menu. 1 my data. 2 import route from file.

According to the owners manual pp 16-17 it supports GPX files which sounds like it will display them. If you can find them lol.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Did it work? <pop> <pop> <pop>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 am

The Nuvi 40 does not support route importing or muli-waypoint routing from Basecamp/Mapsource. You'll need a more advance GPS for that..
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby yamadog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks for all your help and info. I still can't get it to work though. I think Lee is right, my cheap Nuvi is too basic. It's time to upgrade. Any suggestions? I don't need "the best" but something I can download map files to. Again, thanks Bob and Lee for your help and interest.
Yamadog
yamadog

Unread postby Bob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 am

LeeDavis wrote:The Nuvi 40 does not support route importing or muli-waypoint routing from Basecamp/Mapsource. You'll need a more advance GPS for that..

That's what I thought too but the manual says it supports GPX files. So what does the word support mean? Will it display a GPX as an overlay that you could follow without providing turn by turn directions? Dunno, yamadog needs to follow up with us.... <pop>
Oops he just did.

Jim were you able to find the "import" function on the unit?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 am

Bob, not sure, it might be some nominal support for favorites...something like that.

Jim, I recommended this GPS in another thread but here it is again...Garmin 1490LMT. Full featured, lifetime maps and inexpensive. Refurb is fine and even less $$$. Here it is at Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bluetooth-Navigator-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003ZX8B3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406642784&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+1490lmt For technical reasons that will cause your eyes to glaze over it actually calculates Basecamp multi-waypoint routes with a better method for what we do than Garmins newer models.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 am

I am pretty suspicious of Garmin lately. 2-3 years ago, in the "specs" part of their product descriptions for units that did routing, it listed "Routes" as a feature and then the number of routes it would store--like "50 (or load more onto the SD card)"/etc. At some point, Gamin has deleted all reference to "routing" as a feature, even in the motorcycle units. They have replaced "Routes" with "Waypoints/favorites/locations". This makes me wonder if routing has become standard in all units made past a certain date and they are trying to obfuscate this so the motorcycling market segment will continue to pony up $800 for a route-capable unit..... <pop> <pop> <pop>

Maybe even the cheapest (newer) Nuvi will in fact do routing.....
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:08 am

Garmin changed from the routing algorithm we're all familiar with to what they call "Trips" a few years ago. Trips essentially treat every waypoint segment as a separate route rather than than all waypoints as one contiguous route. All current Garmin GPS's that do muli-waypoint routing, including the newest Zumo motorcycle units use Trips. The advantage is that you can enter waypoints directly into the GPS. The disadvantages are skipped waypoints or when you want to pick up a route at mid-waypoint. You have to know which waypoint it is that you need to go to and enter it into the GPS. IMO, shared by many others, that's a huge PITA, not to mention you might not know what the next waypoint is from wherever you happen to be.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:26 am

So how far off an existing route do you have to deviate before it makes you have to enter a waypoint to rejoin it? 10'? 100'? 1/2 mile? Id like to see just how this works. It sounds like a major screw up at Garmin...

Does the route continue to be displayed but there's no turn by turn? If so lots of folks apparently don't want the verbal crap anyway so they could just follow the Magenta line.

And I take it the 1490 uses the older/better method--correct?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:47 am

Bob, I tried one of the initial versions of Trips and it was a complete disaster...nearly useless. Since then I've heard Garmin made improvements but I haven't gotten my hands on one to evaluate. The problem isn't deviation - Garmin will keep recalculating you to the next waypoint. The problem is order. Since Trips calculates each waypoint segment as a separate route it doesn't "know" what waypoint follows the current waypoint. This creates the issue where you might want to skip a waypoint or need to pick up a route at a mid-waypoint. With Trips you have to tell Garmin the waypoint you want to use versus the "old" way we like which automatically chooses the current waypoint based on proximity.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:53 am

OK, makes sense. Broz says he's figured the quirks out. Maybe he'll post here with some tips when he gets the chance.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:53 am

I intitally had trouble picking up a route mid stream but after futzing with it (you have more options on the newer Zumo) i figured out how to do it. It is a bit confusing because on our trip 3-4 days into our trip when I asked it to restart route it wanted to send me back to Morganton. After scrolling down and clicking on another option it did start at my current location. The features that I found pretty handy the more I used the unit are a lot of the features or attractions built into the unit. Like finding National Parks or Monuments and changing routes to get to a new destination.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby yamadog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Ok, so is Garmin still a good option? If not Garmin, than who? Broz, do you have a 1490LMT or some model of the Garmin Zumo? I just want to transfer my routes from Basecamp to a unit. No need for voice comands because I don't have bluetooth, yet. You guys are much more "on top of this" than I am but I need to keep things simple if I could.
yamadog

Unread postby Bob » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm

yamadog wrote:Ok, so is Garmin still a good option? If not Garmin, than who? Broz, do you have a 1490LMT or some model of the Garmin Zumo? I just want to transfer my routes from Basecamp to a unit. No need for voice comands because I don't have bluetooth, yet. You guys are much more "on top of this" than I am but I need to keep things simple if I could.

I would say Garmin is the *only* option. Other than some of the smart phone apps, which have also been discussed. I believe 007 does that---and has the gpx tracks as an "overlay" that he can see and follow, but without the turn-by-turn instructions. See this thread-->> http://cofsta.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=348
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby yamadog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Got it. Garmin it is. Thx for the link and info.
yamadog

Unread postby Broz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 pm

I have the new Zumo 390. It is expensive and I would not say easy to learn like a lot of new technology out there but with all of us that have had to figure things out (mostly the hard way for me) we can help you over the learning curve. I would not spend the money on an expensive GPS if your aren't planning on incorporating the turn by turn I. Either wired or Bluetooth.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ