Login    Register

ArcGIS - Finding New Roads

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
ArcGIS - Finding New Roads

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 am

I haven't lived in these parts for a gazillion years like some so need all the help I can get. I might be making a route or just exploring what's what with Google or Garmin maps and see a curvy road I'm not familiar with. It could be great but the question is: Paved, gravel or a goat trial? Google Maps Street View isn't available for many country roads and their Satellite View away from cities is often too low resolution to determine what I'm seeing.

ArcGIS solves the problem with satellite imagery of the entire US at .3 meter resolution. The web site is: http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?useExisting=1 Don't sweat the "Sign In". I don't have an account and it works for me.

Click the "Basemap" icon, choose "OpenStreetMap" then zoom in to the road in question. Again click the "Basemap" icon and choose "Imagery". There's the road in a high resolution photo.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: ArcGIS - Finding New Roads

Unread postby Bob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 am

Lee, how the hell did you find this? This is the answer to all my route planning issues. Been getting headaches from squinting and trying to guess if paved or dirt in Goog-Earth. I didn't sign in to use this, what do you get if you create an account? Great stuff!!
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Broz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:40 am

Bob is going to be like a kid in a candy store with this new tool. Nobody likes to do a thorough map reconnaissance like Bob. Going forward we won't here "it looked like it was paved on Google Earth"
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Ed » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 am

That's a slick tool... thanks for posting, Lee! <thumb>
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:41 pm

beemerbob wrote:Lee, how the hell did you find this? This is the answer to all my route planning issues. Been getting headaches from squinting and trying to guess if paved or dirt in Goog-Earth. I didn't sign in to use this, what do you get if you create an account? Great stuff!!

Bob, I ran across it while researching open source maps for download to smart phone or tablet that can be used with routing apps so as to not need a data connection to work. A couple of the apps are close to having all the features we need to replace Garmin and I think it'll happen sooner than later. Don't let get me started bitching about Garmin!

Not sure what you get if you sign up but I'd guess it's a mapping service for commercial applications.
LeeDavis

Unread postby PirateRiderBen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Shoot ya'll why didnt you say something? I am geography major at ECU, we play with this program all the time. I have an account (or I am supposed to) Maybe I can do a project on riding-routes next semester...
Live to ride, Ride to live.
PirateRiderBen

NAME: Benjamin Nathan Ealy
Bike(s): '08 K1200S, '99 VFR800, '05 K1200S, '07 BMW 328i
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 500
Bike-to-bike comm.: I yell REALLY loud.

Unread postby Brick » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Lee... Oh jump on this Ben is your Man.
Ben... Lee is DAMN GOOD at this routing stuff.
All... Lets stand back and see what there two come up with!! [THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 pm

About time for a break and some riding Ben!

Oh, still at it...I geeked out for way too long this afternoon and found out how to load USA OpenStreetMaps, http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=8/35.726/-79.983, into both the Garmin GPS and Basecamp. These maps include near about every back country dirt road and trail there is. Makes it possible to create calculated routes on gnarly stuff that doesn't exist on standard Garmin maps. Adventure type routes.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Brick » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am

Oh I will want to know more when I get home. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 am

Brick wrote:Oh I will want to know more when I get home. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Brick

Yeah, If anyone wanted to use a route made with OpenStreetMap they would need the OSM map available on their GPS. A route using roads and trails that don't exist on Garmin maps would make a mess on the Garmin map.

It's easy - OpenStreetMap download for Garmin with instructions is here: http://www.osmmaps.com/maps/united-states. Click the "direct download" link near the bottom of the page. They don't mention it but when the map file is on the GPS SD card, connected to your computer, that also makes it available to use in Basecamp. It will appear as a selection in the top menu "Maps" drop down box.

OpenStreetMaps can be made to appear natively in Basecamp, also Mapsource, without needing the SD card, but that requires a higher level of geekiness. Instructions here, http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:46 pm

I made OpenStreetMap even easier for anyone who wants to mess with it. Go to my Google Drive and download the 2 files there by clicking on them. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8d0Ijn4IBZ5R1E5UEE1LVJySmc&usp=sharing The map is NC and large parts of surrounding states.

Copy the gmapsupp.img file to the Garmin folder of the SD card on your GPS. To use the map on your Garmin: Different models aren't all the same but on mine, from the main screen, choose: "Tools/Settings/Map/Info". Select the OSM map and deselect any others.

Run the osm_generic_windows.exe file by double clicking on it. This will automatically install the OSM map to Basecamp and/or Mapsource. Choose the OSM map from the Basecamp/Mapsource menu.

If you want to try making some of this yourself, go here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ Create a map with the "Generic Routable" and "Type (Mapnik)" options selected. The "Type" option makes for better looking, easier to read maps in Garmin than the standard OSM maps.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Brick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:48 pm

I waited until I got home to open this... damn, I'm still lost! <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes>

Hmmmm...
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Once you get OSM maps installed to your Garmin and computer they work the same a Garmin maps. The catch is, to make routes you have to use Basecamp or Mapsource. There's no easy program option like Tyre. Basecamp or Mapsource aren't that bad once you figure them out. They just aren't very intuitive to learn - nothing differentiates the few features you need from the myriad of fluff. Here's a decent Youtube video tutorial for creating basic routes in Basecamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLSv96Grpg
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:26 am

Not that anyone but me is using OpenStreetMap but just in case...gravel road redraws and corrections I've done for our area have percolated through the system and are available on the various OpenStreetMap outlets. I put the revised maps I'm using - one for Garmin GPS and the other for Basecamp/Mapsource - on my Google drive if anyone wants them. Same installation instructions apply. My Google drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8d0Ijn4IBZ5R1E5UEE1LVJySmc&usp=sharing

Installation in a nutshell: Run the *.exe file on your computer and it will install the the map to Basecamp/Mapsource. Put the *.img file in the \Garmin folder on your GPS SD card. These do not replace your Garmin maps. They are available to select as an option on both the GPS and Basecamp/Mapsource.
LeeDavis

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ