Login    Register

GPS Route Creation With Tyre

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
GPS Route Creation With Tyre

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:48 pm

I was asked about this so I thought I'd post a response for anyone who's interested.

I think more people would create routes if it wasn't so dang hard and Garmin's Basecamp makes it as hard as can be. The map is graphically confusing, the tools are a pain and if you're not careful the program can paint you into an corner. IMO, here's an easier way.

Download and install the freeware route making program "Tyre-Basic". I support the program with the paid verson but the freeware version gives you everything you need - you just have to put up with some ads in the right hand pane. http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

Launch Tyre. It supports both TomTom and Garmin so you need to set some preferences for Garmin. From the top menu click "Tools/Preferences" then open the "Files" tab. Check the boxes for "Use Route Tracks", "Use Garmin Waypoints", and "Don't do anything". There are other preferences you might like but this is all you must have for now.

Create a Route: Tyre uses Google Maps so it works the same way. Zoom in with the mouse wheel to the route area. Make waypoints by right clicking on the roads you want to follow (choose "Immediate") and Tyre will calculate the route from waypoint to waypoint. That's all there is to it. If Tyre chooses a road you don't want between two waypoints then left click and drag the route line to the correct road. You can also left click and drag existing waypoints. Left click and release on waypoints to remove or rename. Tyre gets wordy with waypoint names so I usually shorten them. When you finish the route click "File/Save As", choose "Garmin Exchange (GPX)" file type and give it a name.

Verify the Route: This is optional but Garmin and Tyre (Google) use different algorithms so some roads between waypoints might not match. Import your GPX file into Basecamp then "Calculate" the route. If you see a gray line (Tyre route track) that isn't the same as the Garmin calculated road then go back into Tyre and add a waypoint on road(s) you want Garmin to follow. Save the new Tyre file then import into Basecamp to check your work. With experience you'll anticipate in advance where Tyre and Garmin tend to differ. Basically, Garmin (Basecamp) is effing crazy so it needs more waypoints to go where you want than Tyre.

All done! Your Garmin GPS can use either the Tyre GPX file or you can load/save by whatever method you prefer from Basecamp.

If you have a question, ask. I've assumed some familiarity with Basecamp which might not be the case.

Tyre's Party Trick: Tyre can create a GPS file from a Google Map. Launch Tyre then click "File/Import from website". Copy the Google Map URL then paste it into the top line of Tyre's "Import from website" box. Click the "Import" button on the lower left of the box. Another box will come up - click "Import" again. The Google Map will come up as an editable route you can save as a GPX.

Another Option: Many people like MS Streets and Trips for route creation. You have to buy it and still have the verification issue but it has its own maps so doesn't require a data connection like Tyre. MS S&T also does fancy stuff if you really get into it
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: GPS Route Creation With Tyre

Unread postby Broz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:39 pm

I haven't checked yet not near my Mac but do you know if it's Mac compatible?

FYI from TYRE site FAQ

8. Will there be a Tyre version for Mac computers, for Linux/Ubuntu or an app for mobile phones?

Answer
We have lots of plans to port Tyre to other platforms. But since we are just a small company, it will take some time to realize them.
For the time being, you might consider installing a Windows emulator (like WINE, a piece of free software) on your Mac or Linux/Ubuntu computer. It will create a Windows environment on your computer. You can use that environment to run Tyre.

Does anyone have any experience w/ a Windows "emulator?"
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Lee, I agree completely re. Basecamp. But I'm still using Mapsource and it does the job for me, although it tends to crash about half way thru creating routes occasionally and I have to start over. Other than that It works fine. You don't like it, I presume...?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Lee, I am trying this Tyre just to see. Every time I clik a waypoint a friggin box opens up. Can't you just clik-clik-clik and it adds those points as you go? I don't need to verify every single one, too slow....any other shortcuts you can add....?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:03 pm

beemerbob wrote:Lee, I agree completely re. Basecamp. But I'm still using Mapsource and it does the job for me, although it tends to crash about half way thru creating routes occasionally and I have to start over. Other than that It works fine. You don't like it, I presume...?

Bob, Once I learned how to use Basecamp I prefer it over Mapsource but that isn't saying much. The fact that you can't do any editing to speak of with via points in either program is just stupid. I used to hand edit Mapsource GPS files in Notepad to fix them.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Not sure what you mean by editing via points. In Mapsource you can drag a route's lines to change it's configuration...is that what you want to accomplish?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm

beemerbob wrote:Lee, I am trying this Tyre just to see. Every time I clik a waypoint a friggin box opens up. Can't you just clik-clik-clik and it adds those points as you go? I don't need to verify every single one, too slow....any other shortcuts you can add....?

Not sure what box you mean. If I right click on the road where I want a waypoint all get is a box to ask if I want a provisional or immediate waypoint. I always click "immediate" then move on down the road where I want the next one. Doesn't take but a second. Also, this means it's fully editable, a problem I mentioned with Mapsource/Basecamp via points in my previous post. Inserting an editable waypoint (not via point) to an existing route in Basecamp/Mapsource is a PITA.
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:23 pm

beemerbob wrote:Not sure what you mean by editing via points. In Mapsource you can drag a route's lines to change it's configuration...is that what you want to accomplish?

Garmin recongizes 3 "waypoint" types and IMO are a trial to deal with in Mapsource/Basecamp. 1) Waypoints - Garmin creates a user defined data base for these that is completely user editable 2) Via Points - these are stored in Garmins internal data base which is not accessible to the user unless you hand edit the GPS text file 3) Shaping Points - these are a sub category of Via Points that are not announced on your GPS

Example: Try something simple like changing the name of a via point while you're in the program - Garmin doesn't allow it.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I never mess with the waypoints/via points/etc---why would you want to do that? I can drag a route if I want to change it.

I know what you say is all true....I just don't have any issues using Mapsource, but absolutely HATE basecamp. To each his own, I guess. <olfart>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Broz wrote:I haven't checked yet not near my Mac but do you know if it's Mac compatible?

No Mac version but I've heard it works with a Windows emulator.
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 pm

beemerbob wrote:I never mess with the waypoints/via points/etc---why would you want to do that? I can drag a route if I want to change it.

I know what you say is all true....I just don't have any issues using Mapsource, but absolutely HATE basecamp. To each his own, I guess. <olfart>

I've created the route files for several major rallies. They have to work across different GPS devices, different maps and anticipate every way users can screw things up. I have to mess with everything for any chance of success.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:07 pm

I see. Sounds like a tall order and lotsa work!

When we get the routes for the MSTA rallies, they tell us to recalc them in Mapsource before loading to the GPS. So far no probs...
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm

beemerbob wrote:I see. Sounds like a tall order and lotsa work!

When we get the routes for the MSTA rallies, they tell us to recalc them in Mapsource before loading to the GPS. So far no probs...

That's fine but for people new to route making that I'm attempting to assist Mapsource was discontinued by Garmin and hasn't been supported since 2010.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Funny you mention that. Suddenly Mapsource has reappeared on the Garmin website and no more mention of them not supporting it, or it being "legacy" software/etc. as they were doing a few years ago. It's back.-->> http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Ya reckon there's a reason for that? Probably push-back from folks who hate Basecamp. Surprised that Garmin has actually 'listened' for once.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:59 pm

beemerbob wrote:Funny you mention that. Suddenly Mapsource has reappeared on the Garmin website and no more mention of them not supporting it, or it being "legacy" software/etc. as they were doing a few years ago. It's back.-->> http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Ya reckon there's a reason for that? Probably push-back from folks who hate Basecamp. Surprised that Garmin has actually 'listened' for once.

That's the last 2010 version and only works if you have a prior version of Mapsource installed. Otherwise it can run but cannot access the Garmin maps.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 pm

That is confusing the way its worded, but thats referring to the Topo Basemap patch thats 2.2MB, not the Mapsource file which is 57.05MB. You can do a fresh install of it, don't need the old version. Try it.

Edit: That is--assuming they have the map databases installed on the hard drive or on disk for their units.

Edit #2: Also assuming they are not trying to stream their GPS's database directly to the software by USB, as Basecamp would "like" you to do. (but can be circumvented also).
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Ed » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I find that it's a lot easier to ride second or third in the string, and let others get pissed off at their GPSs <grin>
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Ed wrote:I find that it's a lot easier to ride second or third in the string, and let others get pissed off at their GPSs <grin>

You got THAT right, lol. <grin>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:45 pm

beemerbob wrote:That is confusing the way its worded, but thats referring to the Topo Basemap patch thats 2.2MB, not the Mapsource file which is 57.05MB. You can do a fresh install of it, don't need the old version. Try it.

Edit: That is--assuming they have the map databases installed on the hard drive or on disk for their units.

Yeah, that's the catch. If they don't have the City Navigator install CD's that Garmin no longer includes with every GPS they're SOL. I've got one but it came with a Zumo I have from years ago.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 pm

If you register the unit at Garmin you can download the maps, don't need a disk--but they will send you one if you request.

OR--you can download the mapbase from your unit if you have Basecamp, and then install Mapsource and it will connect up with the database also. Thats how Broz did his recently. He can use Basecamp and Mapsource. As I also can.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 pm

If Mapsource fulfills your requirements that's good but I would not recommend it to anyone new to route creation. IMO, Mapsource/Basecamp have discouraged more people than they ever helped. There are better and more user friendly programs for the task.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:02 pm

LeeDavis wrote:If Mapsource fulfills your requirements that's good but I would not recommend it to anyone new to route creation. IMO, Mapsource/Basecamp have discouraged more people than they ever helped. There are better and more user friendly programs for the task.

Agree with that 100%--they BOTH suck, just one sucks worse, lol. If you want/need 'granular' control, then Tyre will certainly fulfill that need. And I would even like the Tyre if I didn't have to deal with a pop-up box for every via-point I make. I will probably try it again and see what else it can do, when I'm feeling more patient. :lol: I have been looking for a Garmin alternative for some time....
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Oh, I'm not saying Tyre does it all - just that it's easy to learn and sufficient for what most people need. If I geek out with how to make a near fool proof GPS route normal people's eyes will glaze over.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 pm

LeeDavis wrote: If I geek out with how to make a near fool proof GPS route normal people's eyes will glaze over.

Maybe you can teach Broz how to make a fool-proof GPS route. The boy needs HELP! <muaha>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Broz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:56 pm

I have managed to make just about every mistake possible using basecamp and waisted hours and not be much better off than before I started.
Broz

Unread postby Brick » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Oh I might like this Tyre... got a route created and am going to ck it against BaseCamp... as soon as BaseCamp finishes it's up date.
<bana>
Hmmm... well I opened my route with BaseCamp and it shows straight lines between the waypoints I used in the route. AND I don't know BaseCamp enough to, as you said in your post... to "Calculate" the route in BaseCamp?????????? I think I looked at all options to Calculate the file in BaseCamp but don't see anything that says, Calculate!?!
I found where it says recalculate... not sure I can find it again!?
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Broz » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Check the drop down box for MAPS. Sounds like you are on Global Maps not what is on your unit like 2013 maps.
Been there done that. Call Professor Lee. He is the GPS. Guru.
Most likely you do not download maps to your PC. They are saved on the unit. So if your device isn't plugged in when you are looking at the route you will get straight lines. If you double click the route a box pops up w via points listed. On the bottom of box there is a recalc button.
Broz

Unread postby Bob » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Brick wrote:Oh I might like this Tyre... got a route created and am going to ck it against BaseCamp... as soon as BaseCamp finishes it's up date.
<bana>
Hmmm... well I opened my route with BaseCamp and it shows straight lines between the waypoints I used in the route. AND I don't know BaseCamp enough to, as you said in your post... to "Calculate" the route in BaseCamp?????????? I think I looked at all options to Calculate the file in BaseCamp but don't see anything that says, Calculate!?!

Using the arrow as a cursor, left-clik the route line once to make it "highlighted", then right clik it and choose "Advanced", then choose "Recalculate".

Edit: but do what Broz said first to make sure you have your mapbase selected.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Unfortunately, This is a typical joy of Basecamp that they bury commonly used functions in obscure menus.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:19 pm

LeeDavis wrote:Unfortunately, This is a typical joy of Basecamp that they bury commonly used functions in obscure menus.

You are so right. Why did the idiots need an "Advanced" tab--why not just put the damn commands right there with the REST of the stuff? <banghd>

Its like the programmers got together and said "lets just see how OVERLY-COMPLEX we can make this train wreck."
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Marc K » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Lee, this looks like the greatest download ever ! I made a couple test routes and will try and see if they will download through Basecamp to my Zumo without imploding ! Thanks for the info, hated Basecamp and just run a route and saved it ! <bana>
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ