Login    Register

Naked bike shoot out for Steve

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
Naked bike shoot out for Steve

Unread postby Brick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 am

Ok 007 the latest issue of Cycle World magazine, December 2013 issue has a shoot out with the Yamaha FZ-09 the Triumph Street Triple and the MV Agusta Brutale 800. They really liked the FZ-09.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Re: Naked bike shoot out for Steve

Unread postby Bluetiger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 am

I'm a Triumph guy and I actually have a Street Triple, so it's hard for me to be completely impartial. Having said that, I think Yamaha has hit a home run with that bike. 850 CC's, 115HP, all for under $8K -- and it's a triple -- love those triples. Well done Yamaha.
Bluetiger

Unread postby Brick » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 am

I too really like Triumphs and had the 1050 Tiger and loved it. I also have lusted after a Street Triple R.
That being said I rode the FZ-09 a month ago in FL and I am impressed. It would need suspension in a short time but having only spent $8K I could still save a few bucks. The ergonomics were spot on for me too. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
YMMV

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I checked an FZ-09 out the other day while getting my DMV inspection at the Yamaha dealer. For the price I expected to find places where they cut corners but everything looked very good except maybe the single fork front suspension adjustment...not sold on that. Yeah, I imagine suspension shops will do quite the business with the FZ-09.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Brick » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 am

Yea I test rode the FZ-09. It's a hoot and a great buy... Check elsewhere on this forum for my review to the FNG before you.

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby 007 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:23 am

Just now reading this thread, lol. I sat on the FZ09 at the dealership when I had my bike inspected last Friday. Looks like a great bike, but the suspension was even softer than my K12S with 53K miles with the ESA in comfy mode. While I like my suspension on the softer side to handle long days, I don't think this would work well with my riding style. I won't be buying it until there are known options for replacement, and I will require the dealer to switch it out before I ride it off the lot. I would also consider an R1 with touring amenities, since everything else on that bike is set up well. Maybe wait until the new R1 comes out in the next couple of years. The crossplane is the real deal, in triple or I4 form.
Carolina BMW used to sell Trumpets a couple years ago, but the concern was parts availability, which often took weeks and was expensive. I want to ride, not wait on parts. That was enough to keep me away. The latest project will likely be an older VFR made to look like the new RCV1000R with new plastics, suspension, and brake upgrades, but comfortable enough for all-day sport touring. A buddy of mine is willing to put it together for me without the overhead of a shop, give him some extra money to do something he loves, and save me the time and frustration. Win-win.

NAME: Steve
Bike(s): Too many but still not enough
GPS: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Gesturing and various Jedi mind tricks

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ