Login    Register

Weather Apps for Smart Phones

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
Weather Apps for Smart Phones

Unread postby Bob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 am

Woke up today and looked at my Weather Channel Iphone app. forecast for Weds. in the mtns. JEEZUS! Suddenly there's this "black-cloud-with-rain" icon for Weds. WTF did THAT come from? And suddenly its 30% chance of rain? So I downloaded the Accuweather app for a second opinion and guess what? Instead of gloom and doom for Weds., it says Partly Sunny, mild, and 17% chance of rain (mostly Weds night). I wonder how many good days I wasted because of the Weather Channel's dumbed-down one-size-fits-all STORM icon they use if theres a chance 3 drops might fall. THE SKY IS FALLING. <banghd>

I think the Weather Channel folks aren't happy unless the forecast sucks, and therefore publish the worst case scenario. It will be interesting to start comparing Accuweather vs the WX Channel's accuracy.

So what do you guys use--anything else decent? <pop>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Weather Apps for Smart Phones

Unread postby Ed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 am

I've got '1Weather' for android on my (Galaxy S4) phone, and like it a bunch better than the Weather Channel app... whether it's more reliable or not, I can't say.

FWIW using 1Weather, the Asheville forecast for Wednesday is 71°/47° partly cloudy but no rain showing up until Thursday.

edit: Don't see a version of it available for you iPhone guys, though.
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Brick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I've been using TWC but don't rely on it... i have also been using intellicast.com on my Safari. I'm now downloading the app for the iPhone to see if I like it. For weather radar I use MyRadar as you can zoom in and well it seems to work.

Remember YMMV!
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Yarbi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I use my radar as well and you can drag it to other location to get forecasts. As good as any I have used. Don
Yarbi

Unread postby Bob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Maybe I'll download intellicast for a 3rd source. I just don't have any faith in TWC any longer. Everything they forecast seems over-blown. <dope>

I really like the Accuweather interface on the Iphone. It actually TELLS you what the weather will be in complete sentences for a given day--instead of 2 stupid icons--clouds or sun.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Sparklz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm perfectly happy with NOAA hi def app on my Galaxy S3 droid.
Sparklz

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ