Login    Register

Faucet Condoms

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
Faucet Condoms

Unread postby Bob » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:59 pm

Hey yall, its gonna be cold tomorrow night (Fri.), 4F in Morganton and below zero everywhere in the high country, with chill factors in the minus 20's F. Even with "freeze-proof" outdoor faucets (which I have--Woodford model #17), there is a danger of them freezing and rupturing under these conditions. I didn't have those insulated faucet covers and everyone is sold out of them, so I made some insulated "faucet condoms" using 2 worn-out wool socks with a plastic bag secured around them.

Leaving the water dripping slowly may not be effective in these conditions. And if you do nothing else, make sure you disconnect your hoses from the faucets, or they will most likely burst due to the water backed up into the faucet.

Stay warm! <whew>

Faucet condom.jpg
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: Faucet Condoms

Unread postby Scott » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:26 pm

Most modern outside spigots have a long stem and the valve seat is inside the wall
Scott

NAME: Scott Swabsky
Bike(s): 2021 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Senna 30K

Re: Faucet Condoms

Unread postby Bob » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:06 pm

Scott wrote:Most modern outside spigots have a long stem and the valve seat is inside the wall

Correct--thats what mine are, "anti-siphon/freeze proof". But 4F and 30mph winds might chill it anyway. And I'm not gonna be here for a few days.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ