Login    Register

R12GS 30K tune-up

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
R12GS 30K tune-up

Unread postby Bob » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Just finished my (progressive)30K maintenance on the 2010 R12GS. New air filter, change trans lube, Brake flush (thanks Ed), new spark plugs, & valve adjust. Only took me 3K miles to complete it all, lol.

But to my point, which Don (and maybe Kpax) might be interested in since he also has a camhead-GS: the "valve adjust" turned out to be just another "valve check", the 3rd one since new. I really like this, and in reading the forums I see that many others also are not having to actually adjust the valves (uses shims). My clearances have remained somewhere in the middle of the acceptable ranges, so its just a 5 minute check with a feeler gauge and its done. But its listed as a "must-do" in the BMW maintenance schedule (every 6K). I just wonder how many are ever *really checked by a dealer at service intervals, at least for the first 20-30K.....? A wonderful profit center for the mothership, I am sure. <pissed>

Don, are you doing your own? Have you had to buy any shims yet?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Re: R12GS 30K tune-up

Unread postby Yarbi » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:46 pm

I do plan on doing my own but with only 5K I haven't even checked them yet. Hope mine are also in the middle. I plan on doing all my own service right now. I did put on some new tires, hope these give me more miles than the first set. Don
Yarbi

Re: R12GS 30K tune-up

Unread postby Ducatibob » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 am

Did you change the rear drive oil? Or not for you at the 30k service? We also talked about new shocks from Rick Tenninbaun in Asheville. Just give him your weight and he able to dial them in so all we do is install them. Maybe add a remote adjustment resv.
BobL.
Ducatibob

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ