Login    Register

BMW start up noise

Yak about ANYTHING; tap into the forum knowledge base.
  • Author
BMW start up noise

Unread postby kpax » Tue May 21, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm the new guy, Keith Paxton, living in SW Clt.
Over the weekend I was @ Morton's Spring Fling in Natural Bridge Va. Great little rally. Leaving Sun AM I hit the starter and heard the weirdest noise. Kinda like the starter dragged or belt slipped or something. It was set, but...

I've never had this happen before. Bike is new: only has 21000 on it.

Any ideas?
kpax

Re: BMW start up noise

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Was the sound WHILE the starter was turning the motor over--or after it cranked up?

You mentioned "belt slipped". Was it a squealing noise that went away after 30 seconds maybe? The alternator drive belt, up front behind the forks, will make a squealing sound if it gets wet, from washing wth a hose, riding in the rain, or even setting out in a downpour for a while.

Did anyone else there hear it, and if so what did they think?

What did you mean by " It was set, but..." ?

You could turn the engine off, spray a hose up around the front engine cover (where the belt lives behind), then start it up and see if thats the same sound. You can't hurt anything. (don't shoot water into the air intake snorkle tube)
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby kpax » Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Bob,
"set" should have been "wet". Typo.
Noise only happened once and it was during starting. A buddy heard the same noise. it had rained the previous night. Just can't imagine water getting in the belt up front. Stopped by the BMW dealer this AM to talk w/ DeLong. Haven't heard anything back.
This was a one time thing. However, headed for Canada in 2 weeks and don't need any surprises.
kpax

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 21, 2013 8:01 pm

kpax wrote:Bob,
"set" should have been "wet". Typo.
Noise only happened once and it was during starting. A buddy heard the same noise. it had rained the previous night. Just can't imagine water getting in the belt up front. Stopped by the BMW dealer this AM to talk w/ DeLong. Haven't heard anything back.
This was a one time thing. However, headed for Canada in 2 weeks and don't need any surprises.

"During starting" to me means only while you are holding the starter button down, before the engine caught and ran. Although unusual, water could make it squeal during starting and abruptly quit after the engine catches. But more usual is the squealing starts as soon as the engine catches and slowly abates over a period of a minute. Did DeLong have any comments this morning?

If it rained the night before, I would bank on the belt slipping. Rain runs down around the top triple clamp and drips on the top of the alt belt cover. The cover is far from watertight, it has drain holes in the bottom. Ride it and enjoy! <rdr>

(if you run into rain on your Canadian trip, you MAY hear it squealing as you roll along!)
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby kpax » Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Noise happened while starter button was held down.

This is my 2nd RT and I've never heard anything like that before and I'm not a rain virgin. Kinda weird, imho.
It's a machine.

Thanks for the input. <squid> <squid>
kpax

Unread postby Bob » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Keith,
That IS kinda strange then. I do know that the cam chain tensioner has a tendancy to flop around and rattle some before the motor gets spinnning and oil pumps it up, and if the starter button were to lose contact for a split second while cranking, some weird metallic sounds can result after it kicks backwards slightly. It has happened to me and I now press the starter button REAL hard :) and HOLD IT down until I'm positive the engine is gonna keep running. I have instigated some weird noises by quickly bumping/releasing the starter button thinking its gonna fire right up but it didn't, and on the next push I got the metallic sounds that persisted until the tensioner got oil primed. Kinda scary. I have also had 2 RT's and now on a R1200GS.

Since you reported it, you're covered---they did add some comments to your records I assume....and as I am sure you know....TADT. <grin>

Bob
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Return to BRAIN PHARTZ