Login    Register

Intro-BobW

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
Intro-BobW

Unread postby BobW » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Hey!

Appreciate being allowed to join the site. Ken (tireater) gave me heads up about your existence and the acronym fits my status to a "T".

The only other person I recognized while lurking is Brick, but it's been a few years. Met him for a short rainy ride from Jonas Ridge to TN where we visited while a friend of mine bought a new CanAm Spyder.

Anyway, I've been riding anything on two wheels for about 50 years both on and off road and enjoy everything from day trips to exploring the lower 48 as well. I sold my RT this Fall and decided to "Buy American" while doing new bike research and picked up a Victory Cross Roads. It's a really fun motorcycle and I managed to get in a quick 6000 mile run through the Ozarks, Smokys and to Northern NY and then back home through the Berkshires before Winter got serious. Surprisingly comfy out of the box for my old broken hide too ( The calcium growth trying to redefine my spine has me on a quest for the "perfect" mount the last few years).

That said, waiting to see how the new BMW RS looks and a few other current offerings, I tried a "low" GSw but we just didn't bond even with multiple test rides up the BRP. Loved the performance, but....

Thanks again and hope to catch a few rides!

Cheers

BobW

Re: Intro-BobW

Unread postby Bob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:13 am

Hi Bob and welcome to the group! <welc>

We often congregate close to your place for many rides (Halfway Hardware) so you have no excuses! <muaha>

Hope to see you on a ride soon.

Is that pic Kansas?
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby BobW » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Bob and you're close with a very good eye! That photo was of my aprilia on a never ending gravel road in Eastern Colorado. I road for miles looking to camp, but wimped out and hit the KOA in Salina for a shower and laundry duty.

Cheers
BobW

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Welcome aboard Bob!
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:06 pm

BobW wrote:Thanks Bob and you're close with a very good eye! That photo was of my aprilia on a never ending gravel road in Eastern Colorado. I road for miles looking to camp, but wimped out and hit the KOA in Salina for a shower and laundry duty.
Cheers

You must have been facing east.
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby BobW » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Thank you Lee!

I was Bob. I'm guessing you've made a lap or two in that area? <thumb>
BobW

Unread postby Marc K » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:12 am

Welcome to the group ! a bunch of great riders here. Hope to ride soon - as soon as I can get my bike out my mud bog road !
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby yamadog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 am

Welcome aboard Bob. This a great group of guys who have a lot of talent and knowledge. Hope to meet you soon on one of or many rides.
yamadog

Unread postby Brick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 am

Hey BobW,
Welcome! I remember meeting you guy and riding to TN and how your buddy bought a CanAm.

Bob Beal mentioned you living near 1/2 Way Hardware. I'm not sure how he knew that... so where do you live?

Hope to see you on a Ride soon!

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Bob » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:13 pm

Brick wrote:Hey BobW,
Bob Beal mentioned you living near 1/2 Way Hardware. I'm not sure how he knew that... so where do you live?

Brick, look to the left of his post and you'll see his info. (Vale, NC)
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby Brick » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Those things don't show on TapaTalk... <thumb>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby BobW » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks all <toast>

Hope to catch a few rides and put names and faces together! We still have our place off 126 in Morganton, but moved out to Vale a couple years ago. I sometimes miss being a little closer to many favorite routes for a quick blast, but these local farm roads and Old 18, etc., aren't too shabby either.

See y'all soon! <rdr>
BobW

Unread postby tripod » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Welcome! Perhaps we'll meet on the road someday.
tripod

NAME: John F. "Jay" Brosnan, Jr.
Bike(s): 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
GPS: Garmin 590
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S EVO

Unread postby BobW » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 pm

Hey tripod

Thanks and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the spyder RT. My friend put a bunch of miles on his with the auto/paddle shift and then went back to two wheels, but is considering another with the new engine.

Cheers
BobW

Unread postby tripod » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi Bob,

My RT is my return to other than cage riding or bicycling after many years off powered two wheels. I got a '14 in a very good end of the MY deal from Winston-Salem Honda. The 1330 engine and 6-speed semi-auto (paddle shift) trans is great, lots of low end torque, good compression braking and will really honk when out of ECO mode for a 1,200+ lb. machine. I had a heavy duty sway bar installed as part of the OTD deal and it really helps in high crosswinds and semi buffeting on the super slabs. Of course I can't/won't try to keep up with the hooligans when they're in full hair on fire mode but that's probably more to do with age and wisdom than desire. I've only 3,700+ on it since Oct but that's mainly because of the wet weather.

I bought the Spyder specifically because I have bi-lateral artificial hips and am unwilling to risk a fall on one of them. It is really great to be out in the open air again at speed. The bride likes it too and will be out two up when the weather is guaranteed warmer but she's not interested in multi-day touring. I intend to ride the RT until they take away my driver's license -- it's a blast.
tripod

NAME: John F. "Jay" Brosnan, Jr.
Bike(s): 2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S
GPS: Garmin 590
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 20S EVO

Unread postby BobW » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:25 pm

tripod

Thanks and I will forward your thoughts. I sure can appreciate old age issues impacting our choices and my friend went the auto/paddle shift route because of severe wrist issues with heavier clutches. He's had a couple of smaller Ducatis that have an extremely light lever pull, but misses the CanAm.

Cheers
BobW

Unread postby tireatr » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Bob

I didn't know you moved to Vale. Have you learned all the good backroads over that way. I hope to get out one day soon. Life keeps getting in the way. Oh how I envy you retired guys.

Yall will enjoy the Big Bear. One of the nicest guys I have ever met.
tireatr

NAME: Ken Moore
Bike(s): Aprilias & Multistrada
GPS: memory
Bike-to-bike comm.: Cardo Packtalk Bold

Intro-BobW

Unread postby Brick » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 pm

So... BobW is Big Bear???

I might be out riding my Super Tenere'
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

Unread postby BobW » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:48 pm

<icool> I brush hogged my beard and already had a haircut once this year so I am dang near almost human looking <banjo>
BobW

Return to ABOUT COFSTA