Login    Register

Intro Sparklz

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
Intro Sparklz

Unread postby Sparklz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:16 pm

I'd like to introduce myself to the forum and it's members. Normally, I don't go for clubs, chapters, or large moto organizations but after meeting Broz on another forum, I thought I'd take a closer look at COFSTA. Judging from the pictures, ride postings, and the "rules" I think I'll be a good fit. I've been riding motorcycles for approximately 45 years. I've ridden, owned, lusted after, crashed and wrenched on many different brands of bikes but the last 10-15 years have been on BMW's. I recently retired from a 30 year, uh, shall we say colorful, career with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. Six of those years, I was assigned to the traffic unit called HITS. That stands for Highway Interdiction Traffic Safety. I was tasked with formulating and implementing a motorcycle squad as part of that unit. Without question, that was the best job I've ever had. Other than investigating all traffic fatalities in the city, getting paid to ride motorcycles was almost too good to be true. We started out riding HD Road Kings, then switched to BMW RT's (much better police bike). No good deed goes unpunished and after 6 years of this dream assignment, I made my Captain mad, (really mad), and he kicked me off the unit. So, back to patrol I went, fighting crime and thwarting evil.

I opened my own part time business several years ago called Ride Smart, Inc. I teach small classes of students those same motor officer skills and techniques I learned through my employment. My main focus is on the new rider, both the newly endorsed and the potential rider. I also sell a line of products specific to riding motorcycles with a big emphasis on safety. I've been an instructor with the MSF since 1998 and teach at CPCC and Mitchell Community College. I'm also an instructor for motomark1 (http://www.motomark1.com) which is a well established advanced motorcycle skills training school, based in Burlington but has locations across the state. We teach both road and off road adventure riding techniques.

I look forward to meeting and riding with as many of you as I can. I like the idea of riding in small groups on day rides and even weekend soiree's into the mountains of the southeast. I'm open to trying new routes and rides, I also have a few of my own that you might like.

If any of you are worried about riding around with the PoPo, don't be. I leave that guy at the house when I go riding. I ride motorcycles to have fun and I think ya'll do too <grin> .

I'm 55 years old, gray headed, a little overweight, love BBQ and craft beer, (not while I'm riding), married, 26 year old daughter in law school, recently moved to Matthews and love it. My current bike is a 2013 BMW K1600 GTL. It was a retirement gift to myself that I rode to Colorado in June.

See you soon, I hope. Ride Smart!

Brian Sprinkle
AKA "Sparklz"
Sparklz

Re: Intro Sparklz

Unread postby LeeDavis » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Welcome to the group! There's a ride being organized for Monday - here's the link to the discussion: http://www.cofsta.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=238 C'mon along.
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Unread postby Bob » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Brian, thanks for posting the great intro. Its been interesting so far to say the least, huh? lol
Too bad the dream gig at CMPD got cut short but it looks like you're making up for it now! Look forward to meeting and riding with you and hearing more. <welc>
Bob
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Sparklz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks everybody! Unfortunately, I won't be able to ride this coming Monday's ride. I have to go take a physical agility test... <yikes>
Sparklz

Unread postby Brick » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:28 am

Brian... Sparklz,
Brick here and Welcome. You and I conversed for a while a few years back when I was trying to get the MSTA in the NCCHP's riding program that Mark was doing with them before you and he both went out on your own.
I was even signed up to take the class and it was cancelled because of ice and never got back to it.
Anyway! Welcome again and I look forward to riding with you finally. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Sparklz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Brick wrote:Brian... Sparklz,
Brick here and Welcome. You and I conversed for a while a few years back when I was trying to get the MSTA in the NCCHP's riding program that Mark was doing with them before you and he both went out on your own.
I was even signed up to take the class and it was cancelled because of ice and never got back to it.
Anyway! Welcome again and I look forward to riding with you finally. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Brick

Well It's a small world isn't it? In fact, I'm still teaching for Mark Brown at his business Motomark1. Mark retired from NCSHP about a year ago and has been working like a fiend getting his business really squared away. He's doing extremely well. I hope that I can be as successful as he is. If you're still interested in some good training, we can accommodate. Either Mark or myself. I mainly focus on new riders and safety products but we can tailor whatever you need.
Sparklz

Unread postby Brick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Brian yes I see Mark at different MC events like AIMEXPO, Ohlins open house and such. Also get posts from Motomar1 on Facebook.
As far as training I can always use more. But I was trying to get the local MSTA officially involved with the Bike Safe program. I'm an event coordinator for MSTA, no longer the President, my event is the Big Lynn Lodge ride July 25 - 27th perhaps we could do something there?

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Sparklz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Brick wrote:Brian yes I see Mark at different MC events like AIMEXPO, Ohlins open house and such. Also get posts from Motomar1 on Facebook.
As far as training I can always use more. But I was trying to get the local MSTA officially involved with the Bike Safe program. I'm an event coordinator for MSTA, no longer the President, my event is the Big Lynn Lodge ride July 25 - 27th perhaps we could do something there?

Brick

That's possible however that part of July is iffy for me due to my daughter and father's birthdays just about that same week or time frame. We'll see as time gets closer.
Sparklz

Return to ABOUT COFSTA