Login    Register

Intro LeeDavis

Mission Statement, Member Intro's, Help Topics
  • Author
Intro LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Cool, a forum just for us Olde Farts - nice! I retired 1 1/2 years ago and moved to Lenoir to be close to the mountains for riding purposes so I definitely qualify. My favorite morning wake-up ride is to fire up the FJR, zing up 181 (NC's best sweeper road, IMO) work my way east across a nice technical piece to Blowing Rock on 221 then chill out down the mountain on the 321 slab back to Lenoir. That section of 321 wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't a speed trap, which I learned the hard way.

Also, recently picked up a used KLR650 cheap and had fun repainting and refreshing it. It's ST in a small, dirtish sort of way and I haven't ridden that style since a Yamaha 250 Enduro I once owned eons ago. Not knowing WTF I'm doing makes it more interesting.

I'm always up for a ride. Too bad it won't be long before they screw up the good highland roads with salt and grit for the winter.

-Lee
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: Intro LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey Lee, welcome you old phart!! <muaha>

Thats a great way to wake up in the morning, 181/221!! <tour>

Hope to see you on on a ride soon. We have lots of pretty good lower-elevation rides so when the high roads get covered with chemicals, we keep on trucking down lower. We'll be going on one tomorrow--come on along.

Glad you joined in the mayhem! <welc>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby Brick » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Lee,
Welcome! <olfart>

So NOW you have stepped up to be the FNG!

You ride within 10 miles of my house on your morning favorite ride... for a nice twist as you come across 90 to Adako Road to Brown Mountain Beach road to 181... just take a left turn on Piedmont Road before you get to 181... go about 8 or 9 miles to Belvidere Lane on your left and that's where I live. You will be pleased with Piedmont road as it's quite twisty!

Hope to ride with you soon! <squid>
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
Brick

NAME: Dave Brickner
Bike(s): 2020 BMW R1250GS
GPS: Garmin 660
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K B-T

Unread postby Ed » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Welcome to the board! Image
Ed

NAME: Ed Henderson
Bike(s): SV1000, Bandit 1277, Hayabusa
GPS: Garmin
Bike-to-bike comm.: various profanities

Unread postby Broz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Welcome aboard Lee. I don't qualify as an old fart. Recently we've had a few working stiffs join the board. You will fit in and enjoy the Routes and company. For the most part we like to avoid sections of road like 321 from Blowing Rock for reason you've mentioned. Look forward to riding with you.
Broz
Broz

NAME: John Brosnan
Bike(s): 2016 BMW R1200GSA
GPS: BMW NAV 5, iPhone
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena SR10/ SMH10 & Motorola MT352R FRS/GMRS

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:55 pm

I alternate 181 access to/from Lenoir between Colletsville/Akado/Brown Mt Rds or Piedmont Rd. They both have their charms. Piedmont Rd certainly does have nice twisties though I back off on the hooliganism since there's a lot of residential. I try to heed the the phrase, "Don't piss off the locals!"

Brick wrote:Hi Lee,
Welcome! <olfart>

So NOW you have stepped up to be the FNG!

You ride within 10 miles of my house on your morning favorite ride... for a nice twist as you come across 90 to Adako Road to Brown Mountain Beach road to 181... just take a left turn on Piedmont Road before you get to 181... go about 8 or 9 miles to Belvidere Lane on your left and that's where I live. You will be pleased with Piedmont road as it's quite twisty!

Hope to ride with you soon! <squid>
LeeDavis

Unread postby LeeDavis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Outstanding, sounds like it's time to dust off the heated gear! During winter I've been using my Mini Cooper S to play since it's less picky about crap roads. The Mini can lose traction but allows a little time to sort things out prior to an undesirable outcome.

beemerbob wrote:Hey Lee, welcome you old phart!! <muaha>

Thats a great way to wake up in the morning, 181/221!! <tour>

Hope to see you on on a ride soon. We have lots of pretty good lower-elevation rides so when the high roads get covered with chemicals, we keep on trucking down lower. We'll be going on one tomorrow--come on along.

Glad you joined in the mayhem! <welc>
LeeDavis

Return to ABOUT COFSTA