Login    Register

Mini Mods

'Almost' as much fun as motorcycles!
  • Author
Mini Mods

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:15 am

Coolant replacement will finish the job today. No big surprise, it's taking twice as long as I guessed.

Disassembly to access supercharger
Mini Upgrades Supercharger Removed 3_22 800.jpg

Supercharger with smaller pulley (left) for more boost and new water pump (right)
Mini Cooper Supercharger Pulley Water Pump 800.jpg

Higher volume fuel injectors
Mini Upgrades Fuel Injectors 3_22 800.jpg

Fuel injectors installed and lower heat range spark plugs
Mini Upgrades Fuel Injectors Installed 3_22 800.jpg

Higher volume air intake
Mini Upgrades Air Intake 2 3_22 800.jpg
LeeDavis

NAME: Lee Davis
Bike(s): Yamaha FJ-09
GPS: OSMand+
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K BT

Re: Mini Mods

Unread postby Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:19 pm

Holy crap you killed it! <muaha>

Hope you remember where everything goes. Tomorrow might be good for a half day drive if the rain stops as forecast.....
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

NAME: Bob Beale
Bike(s): 2023 R1250RT
GPS: Garmin Zumo XT
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena 30K & SR10

Unread postby LeeDavis » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:37 pm

I goofed and didn't connect a coolant intake hose to the water pump so when I started filling with coolant today it ran out on to the garage floor. So, I had to remove the front of the car again to access the hose and attach it then put the car back together again. This was very aggravating so after fixing my mistake I called it a day. I start over with coolant tomorrow (Wednesday).
LeeDavis

Unread postby Bob » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:28 am

No wonder you learned how to work on this car. A radiator hose replacement at a dealer would run you $1200. <udaman>
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:19 am

Bob wrote:No wonder you learned how to work on this car. A radiator hose replacement at a dealer would run you $1200. <udaman>

To keep these past the new car warantee you have to have an independant mechanic or work on it yourself. Dealer maintenance for items that need attention at higher milage will cost nearly the sale value of the car.
LeeDavis

Unread postby Marc K » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:40 pm

My Mini is now out of its extended warranty so I plan on wrenching on it myself. Is there a good shop manual or do you google what you want to do ? Shop rate at Flow Mini is $195 an hour ! I did look after we talked and several web blogs said the best single cheap thing to improve handling is add a rear sway bar.
2010 BMW R1200RT
Marc K

NAME: Marc Kitts
Bike(s): 2010 BMW R1200RT
GPS: Zumo 395
Bike-to-bike comm.: Sena ST1

Unread postby Bob » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:15 pm

Marc K wrote:My Mini is now out of its extended warranty so I plan on wrenching on it myself. Is there a good shop manual or do you google what you want to do ? Shop rate at Flow Mini is $195 an hour ! I did look after we talked and several web blogs said the best single cheap thing to improve handling is add a rear sway bar.

I can't answer that but I'm sure Lee will chime in. But bring it on over to Morganton one day and we'll take the mini's and my cayman up the twisties! And the Focus RS too.
Edit: and Dan with his Golf R!
Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Unread postby LeeDavis » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:46 pm

Marc K wrote:My Mini is now out of its extended warranty so I plan on wrenching on it myself. Is there a good shop manual or do you google what you want to do ? Shop rate at Flow Mini is $195 an hour ! I did look after we talked and several web blogs said the best single cheap thing to improve handling is add a rear sway bar.

The Mini upgrades are finished and passed their road test - no more wrenching for a while - SUCCESS YAY!

Back when I bought a shop manual for my Mini the only thing available was the Bently which is huge and IMO, just about worthless. Now there are Haynes manuals so that's what I'd get now.

Pelican Parts has a fantastic list of detailed service, upgrade and repair articles for just about anything you'd want to do for a Mini. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI/MINI_tech_index.htm

Youtube is also a good source.

Fast twisty driving exposes that the stock Mini has a lot of understeer so yes, it needs a stiffer rear sway bar. I also installed negative camber plates on top of the struts for the same reason. My Mini no longer has understeer.
LeeDavis

Return to 4-WHEELED FANATICS!